Sunday at the Marina

Posted on Tuesday 13 April 2010

This past Sunday my friend Dave and I were down at the marina working on the s/v Pretty Gee. There are a lot of spring projects I’m working on and Sunday was an absolutely gorgeous day to be down at the marina.

One project was cleaning and polishing the stainless steel on the boat. This has been made a lot simpler thanks to Spotless Stainless. I recently wrote about this product and would highly recommend it if you have any stainless steel to polish or maintain.

We broke for lunch and headed over to the Portugese barbeque place that is about a mile away. Dave ordered the grilled chicken, where I ordered the grilled beef short ribs.

Grilled Chicken Breast, Portugese style, with french fries and rice

Grilled Beef Short Ribs, Portugese style, with french fries and rice

The beef dish is very similar to Galbi, or Korean barbequed beef short ribs, and is usually what I order when we go there.

The biggest project this spring is replacing the overhead inside the cabin.  This is mainly because of all the holes and cuts I’ve had to make in the original fabric overhead to install the blocks, deck organizers, line clutches and other equipment I’ve installed over the past four years.  The new overhead will be plywood, instead of the foam-backed vinyl that was originally there.  The plywood will be epoxy-coated to protect it from water intrusion and then painted or varnished. The plywood will be attached to 3/8″ thick furring strips that I am epoxying to the underside of the cabintop.  The furring strips will have #10-24 t-nuts installed every 8″, and button head socket screws will hold the plywood to the furring strips.

The furring strips will allow me to add insulation throughout most of the cabintop. This should make the cabin a bit more comfortable.  I will also be adding cable conduits that will allow me to add or modify equipment more easily in the future. All the hardware will have access panels, which will allow me to inspect them and work on them without having to damage the overhead in the future.

I also pulled the head out of the boat. This is one of the more important upgrades, since the head stopped working at the end of last season. The whole head compartment is basically being upgraded as part of this spring’s commissioning.  I am replacing the obsolete and discontinued HeadMate 90 that came with the boat with a Raritan PHC—LBA unit, which re-uses the bowl from the HeadMate—essentially converting it into a Raritan PHC head.  The Raritan PHC/PHII head is one of the most reliable and economical heads available today, and should work a good deal better than the old HeadMate 90.  The price difference between a HeadMate 90 re-build kit and the Raritan PHC-LBA unit was fairly reasonable and well worth the investment.

For dinner, we got t-bone steaks from the grocery store and grilled them aboard the boat. We also had salad from the grocery store, and I made teriyaki noodles that my friend Glenn had given me before he left for Europe. We had grapes and cookies for after dinner and had IBC Black Cherry soda and Mountain Dew to drink. While the boat wasn’t in the water, this was the first meal aboard her for the season.

Here’s Dave, grilling the T-bone steaks on the Pretty Gee’s grill.

Dave grilling T-bone steaks on the s/v Pretty Gee’s grill.

Here’s the sunsetting over the Acushnet River and New Bedford, as seen from the marina.

Sunset over the Acushnet River and New Bedford.


2 Comments for 'Sunday at the Marina'

  1.  
    jwood1
    May 14, 2010 | 3:17 pm
     

    Hey Dan, great blog. I have been reading it for about a year and have learned a lot about the Telstar from you. I will probably end up buying a used one within the year. My question is, since you are switching out heads, have you ever considered an Air Head composting toilet? I’ve been reading about them and they seem like a great choice for a boat like the Telstar.
    Jerry

  2.  
    May 21, 2010 | 9:11 pm
     

    Jerry—

    I decided against a composting head for several reasons.

    First, the composting process doesn’t really complete unless you stop using the head for a fairly long while. That means you’re basically dealing with a biohazardous waste. Disposing of this properly in many areas is difficult to do IMHO.

    Second, I don’t believe a composting head will fit all that well, given the space limitations of the Telstar. The one installation I have seen photos of has the head protruding a good deal above the platform, and that makes the forward storage in the forepeak almost inaccessible.

    Third, Buzzards Bay is an NDZ and my town has a free pumpout service, which would not help with dealing with a composting head.

Leave a comment

(required)

(required)


Information for comment users
Line and paragraph breaks are implemented automatically. Your e-mail address is never displayed. Please consider what you're posting.

All comments are subject to review and approval
before being posted on this site.

Use the buttons below to customise your comment.


RSS feed for comments on this post | TrackBack URI