Two Memes

Posted on Sunday 9 April 2006

I got tagged on two memes… so I thought I’d post both of them together. I’d like to tag sinistertiger, ewoh nairb and tillerman for these two memes. I’d like to tag sinistertiger, ewoh nairb and tillerman for these two memes.

The first meme is the Birthday meme…where you go to Wikipedia and enter in the month and day of your birthday and pick three events, two births and one death that occurred on the same day of the year you were born.

The second meme is very simple. Just write about where you were at three points in time: one year ago, five years ago and ten years ago.

On my Birthday

Events

1240 – Mongol invasion of Rus: Kiev under Danylo of Halych and Voivode Dmytro falls to the Mongols under Batu Khan.
1917 – Finland declares its independence from Russia.
1947 – The Everglades National Park in Florida is dedicated.

Born

1285 – King Ferdinand IV of Castile (d. 1312)
1898 – Alfred Eisenstaedt, German-born photojournalist (d. 1995)

Died

1882 – Alfred Escher, Swiss politician and railroad entrepreneur (b. 1819)

Where Was I?

Where was I one year ago?

I was living in Virginia, getting ready to move back to New England. Packing to move is a horrible thing… as is moving in general. I’m glad I don’t do it often.

Where was I five years ago?

I was on a trip with Gee, to Cape Cod and Martha’s Vineyard. It was our last trip together. Cape Cod and the Islands was one of the four places Gee wanted to see before she died, and the only one we were able to get to.

Where was I ten years ago?

I was living in Missouri, probably out fishing with my friend Rob. He and his wife, Dawn live in western Missouri. I wish they lived closer too.

4 Comments for 'Two Memes'

April 9, 2006 | 11:04 am

Thanks fot the tag Dan. I’ll respond next weekend because I am away from home right now. Although I can remember in general terms what I was doing 1, 5 and 10 years ago, back at home I have my running journals which will tell me precisely what i was up to this week in those years.

sinistertiger
    April 11, 2006 | 10:09 pm

I’ll say what I was doing on the principle that this is an easter week, rather than this precise week in April, because who knows what I was doing on these dates.

Last year
    My mum flew over to the states to visit. I flew up to meet her at La Guardia and we drove up to Vermont for a few days skiing/snowboarding at Killington.

Five years ago
    I was living in Bristol, finishing off my PhD. The week at Easter was always given to the univeristy diving for a week in the Lizard, Cornwall, taking trainees in for their first ever Open water dives. By this time I was an instructor, so busy doing 4 dives a day, driving boats, and having the fun of taking someone for their first ever dive.

Ten years ago
    I was living in Newcastle, final year of my undergraduate degree. I was very active in the University orienteering club then, and Easter was always the time of the JFK – a nationwide 4 day event. I think it was even in Cornwall that year – though the north coast this time, as I seem to remember that the year it was there I had my books with me and was studying.

sinistertiger
    April 11, 2006 | 10:20 pm

My birthday

Events
    1945 – World War II: the Atomic bombing of Hiroshima.
    1997 – Microsoft buys $150 million worth of shares of financially troubled Apple Computer.
    1984 – Pop star Prince releases Purple Rain.

Born
    1928 – Andy Warhol, American artist (d. 1987)
    1970 – M. Night Shyamalan, Indian-born film director, writer, producer, and actor

Deaths
    1973 – Fulgencio Batista, Cuban dictator (b. 1901)

Dan
    April 11, 2006 | 11:03 pm

Killington is a good place to go skiing. April is usually a bit late to go skiing in New England.

Your birthday was a busy day over the years. Like your choices too…